Building Green with SteedCo Custom HomesGreen building is nothing new to SteedCo Custom Homes. We have always built our homes to be energy-efficient so that your monthly energy costs are kept as low as possible! We've listed here many of the construction items and practices we use in our homes. While many of the titles and names may seem a bit technical, the purpose and benefit is clear and simple: a more comfortable, energy efficient, environmentally-friendly home that costs you less each month on your energy bills!
Lot Design and Preparation
A lot of care goes into the planning of each homesite to preserve as much of the natural elements as possible. This helps SteedCo Custom Homes provide you with neighborhoods that not only look more beautiful, but also help our environment.
- Manage storm water using low impact development
- Use existing water and drainage features in order to preserve and utilize natural water
- Develop storm water management plans
- Minimize concrete driveways, patios, walkways, patios, walks
- Whenever possible conserve existing onsite vegetation
SteedCo Custom Homes is conscious of limited natural resources and the desire of many people to try to minimize waste. We utilize these systems to help provide our homes to you with reduced building materials, while also maintaining structural integrity.
- 24" o.c. roof framing, no headers in non-load bearing walls
- Use right-sized headers
- Use detailed plans, blueprints and material takeoffs
- Panelized wall framing systems
- Standard food disposer at primary kitchen sink
- Low flow vanity faucets and roman tub faucets, at 1.5 gallons per minute (gpm)
- Standard Whirlpool dishwasher is Energy Star rated for energy efficiency (not water conservation)
A more energy efficient home means lower monthly costs to you! We build our homes with these systems to help you conserve the energy you use each day, thus lowering the energy bills each month.
- Low E windows are available
- 80% efficient Furnaces and 13 SEER air conditioners
A home that is built to be more durable will save you time, aggravation and money on maintenance and repairs over time. SteedCo Custom Homes owners have the peace of mind that comes from knowing that their most valuable investment is of high quality and will grow in value over time.
- Covered front entries on most elevations
- Divert water from all sides of home
- Foundation damp-proofing and perimeter drain tile
- Sump pit at lower level
- Water resistive barrier/Tyvek Home Wrap, to resist air and moisture infiltration
- Extensive use of flashing at windows, doors, valleys, chimney step flashing, drip caps
- SentriconTM System, termite baiting system
- Either TyvekTM or RexTM Home Wrap is available
- 6 mil poly under lower level flatwork
- Ice flashing or ice shield in some municipalities is required
- Low E windows are available, and required as standard in Laurel Glen
Interior Environmental Quality and Home Comfort
A comfortable home is a happy home! Cool and refreshing in the summer, warm and cozy in the winter, a Benton home is built to keep you comfortable and secure all year long!
- Microwave, cooktops, and bath fans are vented to the outside
- Cement board under tiled surfaces in baths
- Low-VOC (volatile organic compounds) interior paints
- Low-VOC concrete form release agents
- Low-VOC fiberglass insulation
- Low-VOC Green Label CRI carpet and pad
Products Manufactured Within 300 Mile Radius
SteedCo Custom Homes strives to reduce waste and cost by procuring many of our supplies from places near the Ozarks. This keeps our homes' prices down and saves you money!
SteedCo Custom Homes strives to reduce waste and help our environment by using recycled materials whenever feasible. This gives you the satisfaction of knowing that when you buy a Benton home, you're helping to preserve our natural resources!
- Concrete components: recycled gypsum, iron, bottom ash, aluminum oxide, sodium bicarbonate, reclaimed cement dust
- Rebar components: 90% recycled scrap metals
- Fiberglass wall and ceiling insulation: 50% recycled content
- Roofing shingles
- Vinyl siding and shingles, soffits and fascia
- Carpet and pad
Resource Efficient Materials
Choosing materials that require less natural resources in their manufacturing and implementation also helps reduce waste and aids our environment. SteedCo Custom Homes is committed to providing you a home that not only keeps you comfortable and happy, but that also helps you to preserve our natural resources!
- Hollow brick
- Integrated floor joists
Although there are many energy efficient and environmentally-friendly systems and products used in the construction of every SteedCo home, some other items are available if desired. In fact, if there is a particular type of product you would prefer due to its "green" characteristics, just ask your sales manager and we'll get the appropriate information to you (after all, our "customization" services extend throughout all aspects of your SteedCo home!)
- Energy Star appliances and light fixtures available, with compact fluorescent light bulbs (GU24 base 2-pin)
- High efficiency heating and cooling systems available
- High efficiency water heaters available
- Higher R-values available for insulation applications
- Caulk and Seal exterior penetrations, sill plate
- Seal HVAC duct work